Wednesday 21 March 2018

THE WHISPERING SKULL BY JONATHAN STROUD

“The Wraith fractured like a reflection in stirred water.”


I do so love it when you take a punt (well an educated one – I mean I did love his other series) and buy the entire suite of books from a series so you don’t have to wait. There is none of that frightful anticipation, waiting for the next book to be released or written. Time plays tricks with the old noggin’ and sometimes it is difficult to recall where you left off when there’s a long stretch between volumes.

I ran for the bookcase as soon as I had finished the first book of the series, with eager anticipation for further Lockwood & Co shenanigans and was handsomely rewarded for my efforts. Lucy is becoming more firmly part of the furniture at Lockwood & Co and this novel sees a dangerous,pride-filled contest between companies and a rather frightening artefact take centre stage. Keep those bone mirrors away from me please.

Meanwhile the skull trapped in the ghost jar that has been the subject of many of George’s experiments, has begun to converse with Lucy and that’s not even the scariest thing to happen. Oh I devoured this with the appetite of someone who’d given up sugar for a month, then found themselves in a cake shop. It was over all too soon. Lucky for me, the next adventure is lined up and waiting.

5 out of 5 – in a hurry to embark on the next adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment