Thursday 9 November 2017

China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan


"Nicky are you there? Alamak this is getting ridiculous."

I have a confession to make. I'm kind of in love with the unlimited excess of the world that Kevin Kwan has created. As I noted with my review of the third book, I accidentally bought them out of sequence. This rather ruined some of the suspense of this, the second book. I think what makes this so delicious is the way we can all relate to the helicopter parenting that goes on. Well, perhaps I should qualify that. I guess it depends on the kind of social norms of your parents. My mother's side falls squarely in the hands on, control and keeping face side of the coin. I do not profess to live the lifestyles of the rich and famous existence of these personages - no private jets for this lady. I celebrated my first business class upgrade the other day and it was only to Brisbane, ah but it was glorious. Everything goes better with bubbly and therein lies part of the appeal of these books. I devour them like oysters. I really like oysters. You either love or hate them. I digress.
The other aspect that is so relatable is the way tight groups keep potential entrants out through bullying and in this case some rather extreme examples of it.
It helps that Rachel and Nick are as adorable as creme brûlée. Who can say no to creme brûlée- not even me and I'm gluten intolerant.

5 out go 5 confectionery sweet and easily digested.

No comments:

Post a Comment