Thursday 26 October 2017

Vampire in Love by Enrique Vila-Matas

"The strange electricity between us meant that suddenly, like someone throwing out the main ballast from a balloon, I lost all my nervousness and transferred it to him"

I had just finished this collection of short stories when my friend asked me about it. I described it thusly. You know the feeling when you wake up from a night of solid dreaming. You start to recall the detail and recount it to a friend and nothing really seems to make sense. The stories have strange endings and move unexpectedly from one conceit to another. That is a little of what these stories feel like. Some held my attention more than others. The mother with the child who won't speak is particularly effective and none end the way they seem to be going. This element of surprise is one of the most intriguing creative aspects here. While I didn't love this unreservedly, it is deeply intriguing and I'd still recommend it.

 4 out of 5 stories that keep you thinking a

No comments:

Post a Comment