Tuesday 29 August 2017

Days Without End by Sebastian Barry


"There didn't seem to be anything alive, including ourselves. We were dislocated, we were not there, now we were ghosts."

So I distinctly remember writing an amazingly glowing review of this book and it appears to have disappeared. I blame the average mobile coverage at my current destination and yet, we shall persevere.
This has to be one of the best books I've read this year, even if it loses its driving, visceral momentum towards the end. What stand out is how very different it is. Whereas other novels have covered similar periods of history, this transports what could be a typical story into something beautiful, inherently masculine ( seriously the pages almost sweat testosterone) and yet remain tender and interesting.
I don't want to go in depth into the story, I want to leave that to you. I found myself re-reading passages and continually appreciating something new - a rarity of late.


5 out of 5 men in dresses that kick a#$@.

No comments:

Post a Comment