Thursday 27 April 2017

When Falcons Fall (Sebastian St. Cyr #11) by C.S. Harris


"Sebastian suspected he knew exactly what was suddenly troubling the vicar."

Some days I am just so grateful to have a friend like Nicki, who persuades me to explore new and addictive book series such as the Sebastian St Cry novels. I was initially a little ambivalent and am now a fully-fledged convert. That should perhaps be obvious by the fact that I’m on book 11 of 11 and now eagerly anticipating the next instalment. Basically I, like Hero, can’t get enough of the dashing Viscount Devlin and who could blame me?
The world he inhabits might be full of murder and the odd detailed autopsy, nevertheless there’s joy to be had. His wife is always a delight, such a feisty and resourceful character, who plays an equal role in investigating untimely demises as a true partner to her husband. It has been entertaining to see their relationship develop throughout the series, although this particular outing focuses far more on the mystery.

Who is the mysterious Emma Chance? Does she have some connection to Sebastian’s look alike (and **SPOILERS**) mysterious half-brother? One thing is for certain, Sebastian is convinced she did not die of her own accord. It seems visiting Shropshire is no respite from a body count for Sebastian and his wife, much to the reader’s intrigue.

There are a cast of likely characters here and the suspense certainly kept up through the entire novel. Let’s just say I could not go to sleep until it reached a resolution. Just as I take a sigh of relief and am about to put my head to the pillow, I’m tempted by the tantalising excerpt at the end of the book. I try and look away and yet it has me in its grip. Seeing as the hardback was just released I feel there’s quite some time until I get to soak in the pages of the next St Cyr outing, Where the Dead Lie paperback.

5 out of 5 times one should not go sketching without one’s Abigail.

No comments:

Post a Comment