Saturday 1 October 2016

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs


"My brain had conjured them up at the very moment I was looking at their pictures."

Those familiar with my reading habits, and lets face it, most people reading my blog probably know me and are quite familiar, will know that reading the book before seeing the movie is my modus operandi. For those who have stumbled into this corner of the web by accident, now you know too. 
In any case, I'd decided to take a peek at this best selling children's book before the release of the Tim Burton film and was impressed.

This is not written in a childlike or restrained fashion. It is eerie, dark and wonderful - a rare treat. As creepy as the strange photographic images that pepper its pages, Jacob Portman's adventures blend fantasy with the pain of reality in a way that really hooks the reader in. This first book is all about scene setting and whetting your appetite for future novels. In fact, no sooner had I finished it, I'd already ordered the next two, something I would not have anticipated from the title.

You will notice that I haven't given too much away here and I'd encourage you to seek out this story unencumbered by detailed reviews and my laboured exposition. As Molly Meldrum used to say "do yourself a favour".


5 out of 5 creepy kids can be intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment