Wednesday 30 December 2015

Hominids by Robert J. Sawyer

"He might not be much to look at above the neck, but..."

A Neanderthal man appears from nowhere and trust me, you are going to be hooked on this fantastic read from Mr Sawyer. The first in a series, this is not a mere set up, it is a thought provoking and enticing read.

Broader themes about how primitive our civilisation abound and add a level of gravitas to the action. Best of all there's more (as the extract at the end of my copy demonstrates). Don't just take my word for how good this is, it apparently won the Hugo award, and yes I'm clearly a little late to the party.

I'm delving into Robert J. Sawyer's back catalogue with relish, after enjoying his WWW series oh so much. It seemed weird to be reading about Ponter Boddit, neanderthal physicist lying on the sand at Freshwater beach on a glorious Sydney summer day, but it was superb. 

The pages flew by, so did my sunburn. This one was totally worth it! Thriller, sci-fi, what's not to love!


5 out of 5 alternate universes have things more together than we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment