Saturday 22 August 2015

The Rosie Project By Graeme Simsion

"If Gene and Clau­dia had owned a rab­bit, it would have been in se­ri­ous dan­ger from a dis­grun­tled lover."

It is rare for me to actually enjoy a novel or film that is of the romantic comedy variety. Usually everyone is oh so perfect and annoying, this is the exception. It gives me unending joy to think that it harks from a Melbournian writer and it made me smile every time I recognised a location from my previous home of several years.

Don Tillman is a little unique, to put it mildly, and yet he is adorable. Unable to read social queues, the professor of genetics, realises that he faces a lonely future and so embarks on 'the wife project' to find a life partner. His dating mishaps are hilarious, as is his continual naiveté and wonder at the goings on around him.

When his dodgy friend, Gene, sends him an unlikely candidate in the form of bartender Rosie, Don's life gets turned upside down. A new project threatens his job and his  way of life, but promotes intriguing changes and Gregory Peck style costume changes and I really enjoyed the ride.

5 out of 5 restaurants require jackets.

No comments:

Post a Comment