Tuesday 16 December 2014

The Island of Adventure by Enid Blyton


 

“That interfering boy! Joe would certainly stop him doing anything if he could!”



Staying at Craggy-Tops, an old house opposite the mysterious Island of Gloom, friends Jack, Dinah, Lucy-Ann and Philip are bound for adventure replete with counterfeiters, kidnappers, talking parrots and abandoned copper mines.

It has been a very long time since I have read an Enid Blyton book and let’s just say, time has not been kind. I can very well understand how a novel that encourages young children to actively seek out subterranean dangers  would be frowned upon in today’s  cotton wool covered world and I found myself laughing out loud thinking, this would never be allowed today.

I enjoyed the novelty of this little tale, yet, ultimately that wasn't enough to sustain my interest. Clearly I am no longer the target demographic.

2 out of 5 adventures could be lethal.

No comments:

Post a Comment