Sunday 3 August 2014

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith








“He limped into the shadowy entrance of the station and was lost to Culpepper’s sight"

Comoran Strike and his plucky assistant, Robin Ellacott are back for another adventure after The Cuckoo's Calling. The J K Rowling pseudonym penned detective work is just, if not more delightful than the first. I admit to being a fan of the odd detective novel in my time, and due to my older relatives constant appetite for Poirot, Marple and other murder solving characters, it can be hardly a surprise that I was drawn to this.

To add to the excitement, this mystery has a decidedly literary flavour, taking place in the world of authors, publishers and dirty little secrets. It features a horrendous crime - I think that isn't too spoiler-ish - and a cast of characters that could easily appear to be the prime suspect.

The prose is simple and straightforward and the novel is an easy read. I don't say that to be condescending. Noting, how rambling this review is, I can appreciate the difficulties in crafting something clean and precise. It is undoubtedly the determination of Comoran and the passion of Robin that really draw me in. Will Robin ever make it to the altar? Will Strike ever get over his ex? Will the killer bump them off before the end? So many questions - a good sign in a mystery.

I can't wait for the next instalment and hope I get to finish it somewhere as lovely as the cute pop up cafe with the delicious seven seeds coffee I devoured this at in Melbourne today.

5 out of 5 Bombyx Mori are bestsellers

No comments:

Post a Comment