Saturday 8 February 2014

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris


"I worried about my brother standing in his briefs and eating spoiled poultry by moonlight."

I began reading this little gem on my way to hear the author read from his latest work. Getting there early, thanks to my friend and an David Sedaris fan, we both managed to get a book signed and take part in a charming little conversation with the raconteur in person.

This particular book was not the one I had signed ( I was reading it in ebook form) but it is rather entertaining. I get the impression that David would be the perfect dinner party guest with his little tales of the everyday. The one about his brother, i found particularly interesting as it explored the strange diversity that can exist within the family unit and the roles we play within that construct.

Sedaris books make for an easy read. You can flit from one little nugget to another in between a busy life and I think that is one of the reasons for his popularity - that and his engaging personality and sense of childish wonder that seems to illicit comments that people might think rather than say.

4 out 5 brothers and sisters don't always agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment