Monday 16 December 2013

Le ravissement de Lol V. Stein by Marguerite Duras

"Lol souffrait d'une infériorité passagère à ses propres yeux parce qu'elle avait été abadonnée par l'homme de T. Beach."

It has been a very long time since I've attempted a novel in French, but I was feeling game. Also this was on the 1001 books to read before you die list and was cheaper to buy in its native tongue. That having been said, Duras is often difficult to decipher in your own language, but I felt like a challenge.

There are moments of sheer linguistic bliss, but also depressing moments that reflect the frustration of a woman's life which doesn't end up the way she planned. Join the club Lol, we've all been jilted at one time or another. Is that really a reason to go pursue some dodgy bloke that's having an affair with your best friend from childhood?

I'm glad I read this in beautiful Fiji. I still felt blue and cried, but at least the surrounds kept me sane. If I wanted a sob story about a middle aged woman with epic romantic failures, hmm I think I could write that book. Beyond the plot there is something other worldly about Duras that leaves me melancholy but happy to wallow  in delicious words.

There were a few passages where my out of practice french perhaps let me down, but I did surprisingly well!


4 out of 5, Lol never go back to your home town, its such a downer.

No comments:

Post a Comment