Monday 24 June 2013

Distrust That Particular Flavor by William Gibson

 

 

"We are that strange species that constructs artifacts intended to counter the natural flow of forgetting."

 
Any new work by the father of cyber punk is sure to warrant another purchase from me, however I was quite surprised that this new offering was non fiction. A selection of articles, speeches and forewords delivers some interesting insights into the mind of such an intriguing author. There is more here than just a sexy, sparkly cover.
 
 
Sadly I could relate way too closely to the article on ebay addiction engendered by antique watch collection ( my weakness was classic films). It is also particularly interesting to note Gibson's initial reluctance to embrace email and the internet.
 
 
The interesting ideas espoused herein could bear further exploration and my score reflects a wish for a little more rather than any major issue with the book.  4 out of 5, I remember faxes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment