Thursday 28 February 2013

The Necropolis Railway by Andrew Martin


"The fear on her face destroyed her beauty, but it was nothing to what this maniac might do to her"


Take a trip back to the age of steam trains and deadly murders on an express train courtesy of  The Necropolis Railway. The Protagonist, Jim Stringer, is inordinately excited about trains to the point where his attractive landlady is bored senseless by his continuous chatter. He reminds me of my brother when he was little and obsessed by a different thing every year, be it dogs or fighter planes or guitars. 

Jim grows up, gets more interesting, solves a crime and improves his non existent love life in an entertaining fashion. The author has a knack for transporting the reader back in time in a completely believable fashion. The interplay between Jim and the landlady was a delight. The characters really grew on me as the novel progressed, although I'm not sure I would rush out to read the next in the series. I think I've overdosed on steam trains  - well for this year at least. 4 out of 5 toot-toot.

No comments:

Post a Comment